Saturday, July 25, 2009

working hard, or hardly working?

photo by Damien

Just in case anyone got the impression that my life has been all work and no play, (which wouldn't be very much fun, or very healthy) I thought I'd tell you about my Critical-versary.

I spent last weekend "camping" (if you can call it camping when there's a microwave, hotpot and ice-maker involved) near Mount Vernon at an event called Critical Massive. Critical (for short) is the regional Burning Man event, and although many there are many shared elements, Critical is MUCH mellower - mainly because it's around 500 people instead of 50,000.

At any rate, this was my fourth year of going to Critical (and will be my fourth year going to Burning Man at the end of August) and this year I was constantly reminded of what an important personal holiday it has become. Many of my relationships have begun or deepened at Critical, including meeting my sweetheart two years ago, and being there I am very aware of a feeling of connectedness. The word for it is somewhere in between family and community, and means a group of people who hold space for each other that is sacred, safe, and very, very silly.

I did some crying and a huge amount of laughing, and came home feeling utterly relaxed and surrounded by love. And ready to return to my new nursing school family-community, which I am still settling into with enthusiasm :)

1 comment: