Friday, September 18, 2009

Short List of Things Learned

I am nearing the end of my 5 weeks off (including Burning Man) before the "real" school year begins.

I am a teensy eensy bit terrified. This program is *hard* - not in that the material we're learning is especially dense or belabored, but in that it puts all my organizational and time management skills to the test. And I find myself being vulnerable on an ego level - surrounded by so many smart, capable people. Trying to fit in like I haven't since ... I can't remember when. And especially being graded on brand-new, no-freaking-idea-what-I'm-doing skills.

Sometimes I feel very small. Other times, I feel proud or oddly guilty when something comes easier to me and I can help other people with it.

So my homework for myself over the break was to figure out how to do this time management thing better, so that I can be nicer to myself and the people who are supporting me through all this teeth-clenching challenging stuff.

Here's my list of resolutions:

- exercise 30-45 minutes every day

- carry fruit leather, bars, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, etc. to prevent low blood sugar freakouts

- take notes in class by hand, not on the distracting, distracting laptop

- spend more time studying at home, with minimal distractions

- make study time more effective by turning off compy (or at least Facebook), making goals and taking breaks (take a little bit of time to organize first, and focus on one thing at a time)

- try to keep Sundays for relaxing

- make time with my sweetheart about connecting with him - figure out how to set aside the school stuff

- keep list of suggestions for improvements to the program, but don't dwell on frustrations

- resist the herd instinct; be more independent in learning (don't take on other people's stress)

- remember that making flashcards still doesn't work for me - make visual maps of information instead

I'll continue with sporadic updates when I find moments to catch my breath.

much love,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment