Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sidewalks, cherry blossoms and herbal remedies


On Thursday I decided that Green Lake was too crowded, and that instead I would take short run in my own lovely neighborhood of Ballard. It was sunny and warm, and all down my street were cherry trees bursting with beautiful white and pink blossoms. There's something particularly joyful about cherry blossoms to me - I always notice them when I'm running in the spring and they make me feel like a whole world of possibilities is unfolding.

Unfortunately, I only made it about a block from my house before I met an uneven wedge of sidewalk with my foot and fell, hard, onto the cement. Fortunately, I did so in front of the home of a wonderful woman who came out and put icy wet towels on my bloody knees while her husband joked with me and offered to walk me home.

Things this reminded me to love:
- icy wet towels
- calendula cream, which soothes cuts, scrapes and burns, and arnica cream, which helps reduce bruising and inflammation
- living in a neighborhood that feels like a small town, in the best way
- the amazing things the body does to heal itself (how convenient that I'm learning about blood right now in my Anatomy & Physiology class!)
- cherry blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment